Friday, November 4, 2011

Mini Journals

Holly adores journals! I am finding journals and little notepads everywhere... ones she has filled with drawings or little writings. Yesterday for art we took some of Holly's previous art work and made mini journals, a project Holly LOVED!!

The artwork we used had been done on watercolor paper, offering a sturdy cover. For the paper inside we just used printer paper, pretty plain and basic. I helped Holly use a paper cutter to cut down the cover sizes to match, then she cut all the insert paper herself with my guidance. First I explained how to stack all of the papers and determine where the holes will go, she measured and started hole punching them. Some were a bit off... a good lesson, but for the most part they were lined up. She then stacked them and laced it up with a colorful yarn. She tied is closed with a small knot and then practiced a bow... many times over. We are still learning this, so she did it over and over until she got it just right.

The final journals are super cute. She immediately took off with them for use in her room. Later I found one on the table with a bird and a butterfly in it.... I think she loves the journals!

Supplies to get started.

Holly's stack from cutting, few photos as I was helping!

Hole punching away...

Kids LOVE to use a hole puncher!

A mini journal threaded.

Knotting it.

Working on a bow - this took a long time.

With my guidance, she finally got one.

A little journaling.... a bird.

A butterfly.

3 comments:

  1. These are super cute! Love the idea & they came out great. Thanks for linking up to TGIF Linky Party. I can't wait to see what you post next week!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out awesome! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will use this for a craft at my daughter's birthday party!

    ReplyDelete