Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Happy Stick



While camping this past weekend Holly & I tried out a nature-style craft that I remember making at camp when I was little. I have had this idea in my head for sometime now waiting for the right time to break it out - this weekend was a great time!

We collected a couple of sticks shaped in a Y - Daddy helped to trim up anything we needed. Then using rainbow yarn she weaved on the Y shaped stick, wrapping back and forth. The final rainbow stick is fun for a special treasure you can keep, something to hold other things from nature in or as a toy. Holly labeled it her 'Happy Stick' since the rainbow yarn is so happy feeling. She met a little friend while camping and they both made one, Holly enjoyed teaching her how. The little girl said it is her new 'talking stick' - I thought that was pretty cute!


She has really enjoyed this little treasure and hopes to make more soon!










2 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thanks so much for linking up for the Smart Summer challenge and sharing. My girls can't wait to make some of our own!

    fondly,
    pink and green mama,
    MaryLea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if you know what a "talking stick" is, but we used one in our family meetings. Basically, the stick is passed to whomever wants to talk. That person gets to say whatever is on their mind. When they're done, the stick is put in the center of the circle and the next person can take it or asked to have it passed to them and it's then their turn to talk. If you don't have the stick, you don't get to talk until it is passed to you. Keeps from having people over talk each other and it made us listen to each other a little better.

    I've been looking through your blog. It makes me miss my days of homeschooling and having young kids at home. I miss the other homeschooling mamas that were part of our lives as we've all gone our separate ways, many having moved to other areas of the US. And of course, the kids are now all grown, many with babies of their own.

    I'm a grandma now, but my grandkids all live an hour away - in 2 different directions, so I don't get to see a lot of them.

    Some days it may seem like this will go on FOREVERRRrrrr. But, you'll blink and they'll all be grown up. I know you're enjoying this while you can. And these blog posts will be a treasure for you and them as they get older.

    ReplyDelete